How Is It Made?
Organizes Living Human Skin Cells
- Human keratinocytes and fibroblasts are derived from neonatal foreskins obtained for use under informed-consent guidelines1
- The foreskin is decontaminated with antibiotics, antifungals, and an ethyl alcohol rinse
- Production of cell stocks involves enzymatic digestion of the foreskin tissue and fibroblast/keratinocyte isolation1
...Into a Bilayered, Living Cell Based Treatment
- Keratinocytes and fibroblasts are cultured and expanded under separate conditions1
- Resulting cell stocks are frozen in cryopreservation vials and stored in master cell banks for later use1
Apligraf developed, manufactured and distributed by Organogenesis Inc.
1. Wilkins LM, Watson SR, Prosky SJ, et al. Development of a bilayered living skin construct for clinical applications. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1994;43747-756.
2. Parenteau NL, Nolte CM, Bilbo P, et al. Epidermis generated in vitro: practical considerations and applications. J Cell Biochem. 1991;45:245-251.